Friday, February 04, 2011

Bad Weather Days

Alright people, get over it.

While I have been a native Texan my entire life and rarely do we see the type of weather we have had recently, I am not a wuss, sissie, or moron!

Those of you from up north that are accustomed to this weather, good for you. Don't make unkind remarks about those unaccustomed.

Public officials are doing the best they can with what they have. Because the snow is a rarity, we do not have an army of snow plows at our disposal to clear roads. Our schools are putting the safety of the students and families first by closing. Underneath that beautiful, white snow is a thick sheet of ice. Our school buses are not prepared to chance students lives just for a day of school. In all reality, our schools don't close because of snow, they close because of the ice.

Getting inches of snow is not a major concern for this Texas girl, however, trying to maneuver in ice is of concern. In this southern state, the ice will get us every time. I would love for ALL businesses to be closed when our interstates become ice rinks. I find it shameful that people are told to come to work in this type of weather. I do understand our emergency personnel need to work at all times and that is my one exception. When people are told to come in because the manager and supervisor just can't...well, that's a truckload of cow manure.

Please, fellow Texans, stay off the roads unless you have ice skates!!!! And those from up north, give us a break!

No comments: